Spencer/École John Stubbs Hockey Academy
The Spencer/École John Stubbs Hockey Academy is a healthy athletic and academic environment where students can participate in a sport that they are passionate about. It is a member of the Hockey Canada Skills Academy network and has the primary goals of:
– Increasing student enjoyment of education
– Developing elite hockey skills and knowledge for athletes of all levels
– Developing health and nutritional awareness
– Promoting the habits of high performance athletes
From September to Mid-April students will participate in: two 60-70 minute on-ice practices per week. From mid-April to June, students will receive a mix of on and off-ice instruction as ice schedules allow.
The Spencer/École John Stubbs Hockey Academy operates out of The Q Centre and the City Centre Park complex.
Hockey Canada approved gear set on ice.
- Appropriate PE strip for off-ice activities.
- Water bottle for all activities.
- Healthy snacks for post-activity recovery
Schedules: Hockey 6: Monday/Wednesday
Hockey 7/8: Tuesday/Thursday
Students are to be dropped off at the Q Center in time to be changed and ready for their 8:30 ice time. (Teacher supervision begins at 7:45)
- Students leave ice at 9:40 and depart the rink by bus at 10:10.
- Students arrive at school, pack gear in the storage locker and attend second block.
May/June Schedule- Westhills Arena Complex
It is a goal of the program to keep students on the ice as long into the year as possible. This is determined by arena schedules and availability, which become clearer as the year moves on. When ice time is no longer available, students’ schedules do not change, the activities they take part in do.
Off ice focuses include:
- Roller Hockey, rugby baseball and other PE activities
- Agility and hand/eye coordination work
- Strength and endurance testing
- Information sessions
The Spencer/John Stubbs Hockey Academy is led by Mr. Cam Smith. Mr. Smith has worked with the Spencer/John Stubbs and Belmont hockey academies for the past five years and is passionate about providing the necessary opportunities for players of all abilities to reach their maximum potential in hockey. Mr. Smith will be joined by a number of community coaches including local junior hockey players, specialized coaches such as power skating and goaltender instructors, strength trainers, and other highly experienced on-ice coaches.
Please feel free to contact us via email if you have any questions:
Cam Smith (Academy Teacher): firstname.lastname@example.org
Donna Tutte (School Secretary): email@example.com
- Hockey storage locker is located at the front entrance of the school (Stubbs TBD)
- Bag maintenance is important!!! Please label your gear and stickers for your sticks will be provided at the beginning of the year.
- Academy students will be required to follow the Academy Code of Conduct which will be provided at the start of the year. We ask that both students and parents sign and return the form to Mr. Smith.